bookweevil

7 March 2009

button text disappearing in firefox

Filed under: useful — bookweevil @ 12:24 am

If you fiddle around with some firefox settings while developing extensions, this can result in HTML buttons no longer having any text in them.

In Stu’s post here, “No button text in Firefox”, he suggests you ensure that the following lines are uncommented in prefs.js in your profile [or you could set the options to false using about:config]:

user_pref("nglayout.debug.disable_xul_cache", true);
user_pref("nglayout.debug.disable_xul_fastload", true)
user_pref("nglayout.debug.enable_xbl_forms", true)

Experimentation reveals it’s the third one, .enable_xbl_forms, which causes the problem – but I’m not sure how it got set. (An article at the mozilla developer centre, “Setting up extension development environment“, recommends enabling the first of these, but not the others.) It’s possible some developer add-on enabled it, or that I just clicked on it accidentally in about:config.

Advertisements

6 March 2009

when converting flv files to mp3’s with vlc, mp3’s are at half-speed

Filed under: audio conversion, Uncategorized — bookweevil @ 10:52 pm

The solution is here (and here)…

“I added samplerate=44100 to the transcode section of my parameter string and the speed is back to normal!”

I also found I had to encapsulate the output as mp4, and then re-convert the mp4 to get raw mp3.

So the parameter string used by VLC ended up being:

:sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=mp4,dst=out.mp3}}

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.